Sunday, December 15, 2013

Holy Mother of Blog Posts!

What HAPPENED?? I feel like this semester went by in the blink of an eye. And boy has it been a long time since I've posted on here! (My apologies!) Junior year has been such a year of growth, and I've been really thankful for that. While I've felt a lot of it take place in my work, I feel that even more of it has taken place in my eye. The teachers at Ringling really are top notch, and after getting many helpful critiques I've been able to look back on my work and think "Wow...I improved with this, but this piece is still REALLY under-baked!"Which of course can be discouraging! ...But moreso exciting - just because I've been given the opportunity to SEE that. And seeing that will inevitably manifest in better work so long as you put in the time, effort, and passion. I'm just really excited for that to happen!

Well anyway, its been a while so now I have a lot to share with you! Woohoo! The order I'll put these pieces in might be a bit odd, but I thought it would be best to separate each batch by type. First my digital paintings/drawings, then my CG work, and finally some figure drawings and sketchbook doodles. In each section I'll start it with the most recent pieces I did and end with ones I did earlier in the year. The older ones are a bit ehh, but I thought it would be neat to include them anyway so you can (hopefully!) see some improvement. So off we go!




                                ^ some progress thumbnails!



Self Caricature


Model Sheet for my future Lip-Sync Project!



                                                                A Frank Zappa Caricature!

                             

                                             An elephant contraption - made with distillery equipment

A flapper tree lady - not as developed as it could have been, but perhaps I'll revisit it and try to push it further.


Now lets see some animation stuff!

Here's my push pull project! The concept came from a little character I developed last year and decided to explore further. You may remember her from a previous post:


She is a little village girl who lives on a candy island.  When I decided to use her I realized just how very early and rough this design was - while it had some fun elements to it, I knew it would probably have to change quite a bit once I brought it into 3d and made it usable for an animation. Unfortunately, I am having difficulty retrieving the the file which has her model sheet on it - but even after creating the model sheet I found that I had to continue altering things. It gave me quite a lot to consider for my future designs - and while I want my next design to be much more descriptive that this one, it was a fun challenge to try and maintain the feel of the sketch while still having it make sense and look appealing in 3d.

Another fun challenge was building a simple set that felt like the world the character would live in. On a candy island, what would a palm tree be? Or a rock? Definitely a fun design challenge.




Click here for the animation!  https://vimeo.com/79586611

In addition we also did an exaggerated version of this one, which we turned in as a playblast. When I return to Ringling I hope to render it, and I'll probably throw it on here too so you can see that version.

Before we did push pull we had a series of animation warm ups where we use a pre-modeled and rigged character named Artie. One of the assignments was to animate Artie in a situation where he is just waiting.

Click here to check out my Waiting assignment! https://vimeo.com/75002160

And now, some sketches! Figure work and some little doodles. :)

50 minutes

30 minutes

50 minutes

5 minute gesture




And of course, some fun little doodly doods.











Thats all for now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment